Saturday, December 5, 2009

Trash in Trash Cans

So I’m at work (Harley-Davidson) and this guy come in. As always I do my best to assist my customers. He was looking for a new hoodie since he lost a significant amount of weight.  He was telling me how the hoodie that he had on was just too big now and it had a hole. Of course I picked him out a nice new one for which he wanted to wear out of the store. So as he took off the old one he asked if I had a trash can that he could throw it in. I looked at him with horror.

WHAT? YOU CANNOT BE SERIOUS. How dare he say that in front of a fashion designer? We know how much hard work goes into a single garment! The hoodie didn’t look that old. There was no reason he should just throw away all that fabric and construction.

^ all of this ran threw my head as I continued to stare at him in horror.

He looked so confused. He asked if I was alright. I had to explain to him that I was a fashion designer and the thought of him throwing away a garment was a bit much for me. He laughed and told me that I could have the hoodie. Of course I took it! If I didn’t he would have just tossed it elsewhere. We ended up talking for another 10minutes and he told me that he’s going to come back up to see me and to see if I did anything creative with the hoodie! There are plenty of things I could do with it. I can make a dress, skirt etc. There are books on recycling clothing like that. Looks like I have a project over the winter break!

But I propose the question: What do you do with old clothes that you can no longer fit or wear it for whatever reason? Do you just toss it? Give it away? Consignment shops? Good Will?

 

I have never had to throw away clothing! I usually give it to Good Will or to someone I know. I can’t believe people actually throw away clothes. EWWWWW!

No comments:

Post a Comment